Hatchets Draw Against Fortunate Titans

Another exciting Friday night contest finished in a 2-2 draw last weekend. Despite controlling the lion’s share of possession, and carving out chance after chance, the Hatchets couldn’t quite put their opponents away. The result throws the race for finals wide open.

Several Hatchets players went into the game under an injury cloud. Reliable centre back Nick R, who has spent much of this season playing out of position as striker, passed a late fitness test to take his place in the side. Other key players Logan, Trey and Steve L were also making their returns from injury layoffs. However, it was a strong side that eventually took the pitch.

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 2.53.05 PM.png

Herston made all the early running, and tried to take full advantage of the big pitch. In just the seventh minute, a good run from Trey down the left opened up space for Jack to get into the box. The Hatchets stalwart needed no second invitation, controlling the ball and slotting it into the bottom corner for his second goal in as many weeks.

It didn’t take long for the Titans to hit back. An innocuous-looking cross fell very fortunately for their striker, who smashed it into the net from close range. Shortly after that, they scored again to hit the lead. It would be kind to call this goal a counter attack, since it came from one long ball over the top, but hey, they all count.

A flurry of chances for the Hatchets opened the second half. The away team simply dominated the game, with the Titans struggling to get the ball to halfway. The Hatchets did everything but score, time after time.

In the 63rd minute they were finally able to equal the scores. A corner was swung in from the left by Mike T, and Trey delivered a thumping header into the net. Keen supporters will remember that Trey scored a similar goal against Titans last time these sides met – perhaps some work on defensive set pieces is needed.

More chances came late in the game, but nothing could be finished. Mike T had a shot well saved. Jack had a couple more chances too, including one shot cleared off the line. Simon missed narrowly with two headers from corners. Nick almost broke his three-game goalscoring drought, but it was not to be.

The Titans would definitely be the happier of the two sides after the final whistle confirmed that both teams would be going home with a share of the spoils. The result keeps them in third position, with the Hatchets in fourth. There are four rounds of the season remaining.

The Hatchets play a massive game this Friday night against Le Foot, with the loser likely out of finals contention. Tickets are still available. 

This entry was posted in Match Reports. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s